Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Kusherie: Egyptian Street Fare

Kusherie, a dish popular in Egypt, is probably one of my favourite things to eat.



I was introduced to it several years back at a little restaurant in Toronto.

I always promised myself I wouldn't try to make it at home so it would still feel special to eat it when we went out.

That promise was broken today. 

My friend, Laurie, got me onto this cookbook called More with Less; such a good cookbook.

It's a Mennonite cookbook that emphasizes eating more grains and vegetables, less sugar and all for less money.

Carolyn Yoder from Egypt  offers this recipe for Kushari and when I saw it I resisted the urge to make it no longer.(This is terrible, but it never occurred to me that there might be Mennonites in Cairo?)

It was exactly right and just how I hoped it would taste.

A flavourful bed of rice and lentils that's topped with a spicy-sweet tomato sauce and caramelized onions.

Perfect.

I throw a couple meatballs on top of the kids kusherie in place of the caramelized onions.

A big green salad with house dressing goes well with kushari.

This tomato herb salad dressing is beautiful with the main course.


*No meal prep would be quite complete without my right hand man and mini-chef, Jimmy*

Kusherie (Kusharee)
adapted from More with Less Cookbook 


2 Tbsp oil
1 1/4 C brown lentils, rinsed
4 C stock, hot
1 tsp salt
dash pepper
1 1/2 C rice (I used white basmati)

3 small tins tomato paste
3 C tomato juice, pureed tomato, or tomato sauce (I used 2 cans of V8)
1 green pepper, chopped small
1 handful celery leaves, chopped
1 T honey, sugar or maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
big pinch chili flakes

2Tbsp oil
3 onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced


Heat oil over med heat in a large sauce pan and add lentils and cook 5 minutes.
Stir often.
Add 3 C stock, salt and pepper.
Cook uncovered 10 minutes.
Stir in rice and remaining 1 C stock.
Bring to a boil and cover simmering until cooked, about 10-15 minutes.

In a medium sauce pan, heat tomato paste, V8, green pepper, celery leaves, honey, salt, cumin and chili flakes.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 20-30 mins.

In a small skillet heat oil and add onions, garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper and sautee on med-low  until brown.

To serve, put rice-lentil mixture on a plate, top with tomato sauce and finish with the caramelized onions.


House Dressing

1/3 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 C Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp honey or brown sugar
1 Tbsp tomato paste (I used the Kusharee tomato sauce) 
1 clove minced garlic
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp each basil and oregano, dried
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
pinch pepper
pinch salt

 Shake all ingredients together in a mason jar.



2 comments: