Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Orange Yogurt Cake


It's good to have something that you make with some regularity for when people come over unexpectedly or at the last minute.

I'm usually all about scones of any shape or flavour. Scones are pretty easy to whip up but are also a little fancy.

I remember my mum making scones so many Sunday nights when we'd have people back from church. I was always proud because I knew my mum would make a fresh batch of these perfect little scones and serve them with butter and marmalade or strawberry jam. I loved the predictability of it.

I'm about to make this cake for the second time in 24 hours and it may become the equivalent of my mum's scones. This cake takes about 4 minutes to prepare and 24mins in the oven. All the ingredients get tossed in a big bowl and whisked together somewhat haphazardly. No fuss.

You would never know by what ease it is made after it's done though. Damp and subtly sweet with little flecks of fresh orange zest running through it, dusted with a bit of icing sugar.

Orange Yogurt Cake
(from a vintage Martha Stewart Magazine)

1 C flour
1/2 C plus 2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 C yogurt (I used banana yogurt)
1/4 C vegetable oil
1 orange zested
1 Tbsp orange juice (1 Tbsp of grand marnier here would be decadent!)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla

(icing sugar for dusting)

~Preheat oven to 350*.
Grease a 8inch round cake pan.
Stir all ingredients together in a large bowl.
Pour into pan.
Bake until cake tester comes out clean, about 24mins.
Cool.
Dust with icing sugar.

Jib suggests having this cake with a cup of tea.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, a truly exquisite cake Jess:) Thanks for sharing...xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you always use antique plates...makes everything looks so pretty! Another delicious looking cake...my dad would love that. May have to make it for him some time soon:)

    ReplyDelete