Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Calzones: II

A cheesy 'N'

I thought I'd change it up a bit for pizza night tonight and make calzones with the Stowe Pizza Dough.

Clara loves calzones. Jib was skeptical when I called it pizza but was won over very quickly.

Our good friend was over for pizza night tonight and she calls it 'Pizza Pie'.

These are fast, easy to make and way too easy to eat.

I have written about calzones before but I prefer the Stowe Pizza Dough over my previously posted dough recipe. This dough is so stretchy and simple to work with. I doesn't need time to rise and can be made on a whim.

Tonight I chopped up some thick cut bacon, red and green peppers, mushrooms, olives, hot banana peppers, tomato sauce and cheese. Everyone had a variation of these toppings...I had all of them.

Another pizza we've been eating a lot of lately features potatoes.
Slice a scrubbed and peeled potato into 1/3 inch slices, toss with olive oil and Montreal steak spice or salt and pepper. Cook at 400 for about 15 mins or until getting golden and very soft inside. Top pizza with olive oil or tomato sauce, cheese, chopped turkey kielbasa, cooked potato slices, hot peppers and green olives.

A tip: Since no 2 calzones are alike in our house, I like to make an initial or special marking on the top of each calzone with left over bits of shredded cheese. Then everyone knows who's is who's. Of course, everyone thinks their calzone is the perfect combination of flavours and wants to eat their perfectly concocted pie.

I hope you love these.

Calzones
Serves 2 adults and 3 kids or 4 adults

1/2 recipe of Stowe Dough
olive oil
toppings

Divide dough into 4 equal parts and then divide those each in half. Jim got a whole quarter, the kids and I got an 1/8.
Roll dough into an oval and top one half of the oval with about 1/2 C of topping choices leaving an inch boarder on the one half you topped.
Brush the boarder with olive oil, fold the top over and roll the edges up sealing with a fork press.

Brush entire calzone with more olive oil. Fill remaining calzones. Place all the little packages on a large cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 15 mins or until the tops are nice and golden brown. Check the bottoms to ensure they're brown too.

Cut them in half. The filling will be lethally hot!



3 comments: