When we sat down to think about Clara's birthday party this year, she was very decided about what she wanted to serve; Oreo Ice Cream cake, S'more Bars and Ritz mini cheese sandwiches. The ice cream cake recipe is one I know I will use again and again. The base is a very simple, thinn-ish layer of chocolate cake, topped with a tub of ice cream, topped with sweetened vanilla-infused heavy cream, topped with a crumble of oreo cookies. The cake could be modified by using any other ice cream flavour and topping. Candy cane ice cream on Christmas Eve, with crushed After Eights on top would be amazing...
Ice Cream Cake
1C All Purpose Flour
1/4C cocoa powder
2t baking powder
3/4C milk, warmed
1/2 gallon Ice Cream any flavour
1 1/2C Whipped cream
Topping of your choice: crushed chocolates, candies, cookies or sprinkles...
Heat oven to 325*
1. Put flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a sifter and sift into a large bowl. Stir in sugar with a whisk.
In a separate bowl, whisk milk, egg, oil and vanilla until well blended.
Pour egg mixture into flour and whisk.
Pour into a 9x13 inch dish (pre greased).
Bake 20mins. Cool completely. Freeze 30mins.
2. Remove ice cream and soften 15mins or so on the counter.
Spread over the cake, cover with plastic and freeze 4 hours.
3. Whip cream with sugar and vanilla about 3mins, until stiff peaks form.
4. Crush topping.
5. Spread whipped cream on ice cream and top with whatever you just crushed.
6. Freeze again until ready to eat.
Cut with a knife dipped in warm water.