Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

White Bean Dip with Pita Chips

Lunch can be kind of a challenging meal.

The quick options are not usually the best or healthiest.

We eat our fare share of pasta salad and peanut butter sandwiches but no one ever complains about a sampler plate.

A sampler plate for us includes, cheese (cottage or cheddar), crackers or pita chips, fruit and veg slices and sometimes pieces of meat and a pickle.

For my sampler plate, I enjoy a dip for the vegetables and pita chips.

Today I made a really fast and easy navy bean dip because (much to my dismay) I had run out of chickpeas.

So many times I have found that it is when my pantry is dwindling and bare, I get the most daring* and make the most happy discoveries.
(*Yes, I guess changing up my usual hummus for a white bean dip is pretty daring for me.)

But now I really love white bean dip...who knows what I'm capable now that I'm willing to take these kinds of risks...

White Bean Dip with Pita Chips

1 19oz can navy or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp parsley flakes (or a handful of chopped fresh)
2-3 garlic cloves
salt and pepper
4 whole wheat pitas (I used greek)
olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper

Set oven to 400.
Puree beans, lemon juice, oil, parsley, and garlic in a blender or food processor.
Taste and season to your liking.

Chop each pita into 8 wedges, toss with a couple tablespoons of oil.
Place in a layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano.
Bake for 8-10 mins.
Serve pitas warm with the dip.



No comments:

Post a Comment