Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Very Fragrant Butternut Squash and Zucchini Chili


I have a very pretty little row of butternut squash in my kitchen that keeps getting longer. I thought I had a bumper crop of chard but my squash shocked me even more. Last night, I held a zucchini in one hand and a squash in the other and was trying to decide what to do with them. With a few simple ingredients and about 10 minutes of chopping and peeling I had a very delicious smelling chili simmering.
With the nights starting to get a little cooler and a large crop of squash and zucchini, I know this chili will be making several more appearances at our supper table.

Fragrant Butternut Squash and Zucchini Chili
(adapted from Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Haven)

1T Olive oil
1.5C Chopped onion
1 t Salt
1 t cumin
1/4t cinnamon
4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
1T Chili powder
1C Vegetable stock
1 Butternut squash, peeled and chopped 1 inch dice or so
1-2 Zucchini, chopped 1 inch dice or so
-2 limes, juiced
1 28oz can beans (I used red kidney but I imagine any would be delicious)

1.Heat oil in a dutch oven or pot. Add onion, salt, cumin, cinnamon and chili powder. Cook over low heat until onions are soft. About 10 minutes. Stirring frequently.
2. Stir in garlic and cook another 5 mins.
3. Add stock and squash. Cook 15 mins covered at med low heat.
4. Add zucchini, lime juice, and beans. Cook for 5-10 more mins.
5. Taste and season to your liking with more salt and pepper.

*top with pumpkin seeds, marinated tofu, minced cilantro or whatever else sounds good.





No comments:

Post a Comment