Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Giant Oreos


Oreo cookies are really something most everyone can agree on. Introduced in 1912, they have quickly become the best selling cookie in the USA and probably in Canada too.

The other day, I had a bag with a few cookies in it, a few arrowroot biscuits and an Oreo. Jibs saw the bag and brought it to me expectantly. I reached in the bag and pulled out an arrowroot biscuit. His, once hopeful eyes, filled with tears and he crumpled to the floor...he wanted the Oreo!

Jibs is not the only one, Clara and Jim could easily eat Oreos by the tray full.

Curious as to whether or not I could come close to the Oreo goodness found in the Nabisco bag, I tried this simple recipe found here.
The chocolate wafer is a breeze to make if you have a stand mixer or food processor, just throw in all the ingredients and blend. The filling, just as painfully sweet as the true Oreo, is a delicious filling for its crunchy chocolate surroundings.

Clara was my taste tester and absolutely loved them.

Giant Oreos

For the chocolate wafers:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg

For the filling:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Set oven to 375.
Place flour, cocoa, soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix and then add butter and egg blending until a thick paste forms.
Roll teaspoonfuls into a ball and place on a paper lined baking sheet, pressing down lightly.
Bake 9mins.

Meanwhile, make filling. In the mixer, blend butter and shortening. Slowly add sugar, and then vanilla. Whipping until very well mixed.

Place a blob between 2 cooled cookies and squish.



10 comments:

  1. Holy moly, those look amazing. I miss you...dinner soon!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were amazing Jess (the small bite I had of Brennah's). I would like to have seen a pic of Jibs crumpled on the floor though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimmy and I both turned our heads and laughed...so he wouldn't see us. It was pretty funny. i wished i'd had my camera ready:)
    Shan- Yes, dinner very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, that story about Jibs made me laugh! So cute :) He wanted the Oreo...hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I seriously need to write all these down because since we only have Cora...I would end up eating all the cookies. And I really don't need to eat a dozen oreos myself. I bet they are really good with vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost fell down crying when I heard Jib's reaction! I think I would have done the same thing haha Excellent idea! Can't wait to try it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww. jiblet. i want to OHMNOMNOM on those cookies

    jess! look what our friend alton whipped up.
    does this make you drool as much as me??

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steak-au-poivre-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yum, Aban. I just watched the episode! I love Alton!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these with spelt flour, oat flour, and rice flour and they are still so delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so neat. I'm always glad to hear of new substitutions that work out!

    ReplyDelete