Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Energy Bars for Little Hands



Most mornings I need to make Jibs a preliminary breakfast while I'm making his full breakfast. Usually he has a banana, fruit smoothie or some cheerios to chew on while his eggs and toast are cooking. Clara found a recipe for energy bars in her beloved cookbook Salad People. With a basic ingredients and a very forgiving dough, we made these lovely, filling little treats which perfectly satisfy my ever hungry boy.
One of the nice things about these bars is you can't really over mix the dough, so it's a perfect job for little hands to squish and squeeze. I used less sugar and added dried cranberries in the place of raisins. Next time I think I might add some pumpkin seeds and raisins or walnuts and dates. Protein powder is called for and easy to find at bulk food stores (I get mine at costco) but if you cannot find it or want to make them now just substitute with flour.

Diminutive Energy Bars

1C AP flour
3/4C protein powder (sub in more flour if you don't want to use protein powder)
1/2tsp salt
2C rolled oats
3/4tsp cinnamon
1/3-2/3C brown sugar
1/2C raisins (or craisins, walnuts, almonds, figs...)
1 1/2C Vanilla Yogurt (I use Astro Balkan style)
1/4 C canola oil

Preheat oven to 375*- Grease 24 muffin tins.
Combine flour, powder, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in oats, cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins (or any other additions that sound good).
In a 2C measuring cup whisk together yogurt and oil.
Stir wet ingredients into the dry and mix very well with your hands or the hands of a small one wanting to help.
Place about 1 1/2 Tbsps of the batter to each well greased muffin cup poking into place.
Bake 12 mins or until lightly brown around the edges. Do not overbake.
Store in an airtight container. I imagine they would freeze well if you wanted to freeze half for later. Though I haven't tried.
enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment