Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Oat cakes and honey





Since we've had a couple of cold days I have been back at the stove a lot more again. I made a batch of oat cakes for our Truth Application Group Sunday night and served them with some cooked raspberries and cheddar cheese. We liked them so much that I made them again for us to snack on this week. They are so easy to whip up and only cook for 15 minutes. I'm going to try one with some cinnamon honey we bought from Boards Honey a couple weeks ago.

  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup oat flour, plus more for dusting work surface (I grind up Oats in my coffee grinder. But if you want, oat flour can be purchased at bulk food stores)
  • 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or coat with cooking spray.
2. Stir together oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
3. Place oat flour in separate bowl. Rub butter into oat flour with fingers until mixture is crumbly.
Stir in oat mixture, then buttermilk.
4. Dust work surface with oat flour, then roll out dough to roughly 10- x 8-inch rectangle 1/4-inch thick. Cut rectangle into 12 squares with chef’s knife. Cut each square into 2 triangles. Place triangles on prepared baking sheets, and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until oat cakes are light brown. Cool.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try these...I'm not the best cook but these look easy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new look to your blog Jess...and thanks that little snack was just what I needed today:) mkm

    ReplyDelete