Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Everyday Bagel



Our family has always eaten a lot of bagels and it wasn't even something I thought about making until Jim bought me the book Artisan Breads Everyday by Peter Reinhart. I love his technique for bread making. For some reason they just work! Multi-grain and whole wheat breads are my favourite but I always had terrible results with them being hard or yeasty or flat. Not so with Peter's recipes. I have made 4 beautifully delicious loaves so far. I highly recommend the book.

For the last month I have not bought bread at all because I have found his method so easy and the results so perfect.

Peter says in his book that bagels are one of the easiest breads to make so I felt confident and went for it. He was right. Though there are a few steps to the process, each step is easy and quite fun.
This batch yielded 8 whole-wheat honey bagels so I topped one half with a little fleur de sel and the other with melted butter and cinnamon sugar.

My bagel loving family was eager to come share the hot morsels straight away so we had a little impromptu brunch.
All that remains is a lonely quarter bagel, a few crumbs and a smear of cream cheese.
I will be making bagels again very soon.

**Recently found someone (The Wednesday Chef) who typed out the whole method...for anyone out there who is interested in giving these bagels a try. They are fantastic. Im making them today.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks Jess...the bagels were so amazing...just call when you do them again...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If possible, they were even better cold. :) I'll make them again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'd like in on this bagel making action!
    can you post a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My suggestion would be to take "Artisan Breads Everyday" by Peter Reinhart out of the library...there are a lot of pictures and tips in there to help get the bagel just right:)

    ReplyDelete